So today is the last day of the year 2009.
And it also marks one year since I started here on OD. Which brings up a my wonderful tendency to make my anniversaries (of any and all types) easy to remember. Heck, if it falls on the first or last day of the month, you're bound to remember it.
So to celebrate these two occasions, I'm going to take some time and look back upon the lessons that I learned (and relearned in some cases) this past year.
- OD is a wonderful place to be a member of. It gives you an outlet to say whatever is on your mind, for better or worse.
- Friends are those that you can any and everything to without fearing what they have to say about the matter. Again, for better or worse.
- I have more friends than I realized I had. And I love and care about each and every one of them.
- If it wasn't for OD, I would never have joined Facebook. Though I really should cut down on the time spent there.
- Exes are exes for a reason. 'Nuff said about that at the moment. *looks around*
- People change as time passes. Some in positive ways, while others go in the opposite direction than you thought they would.
- Lying is similar to a hangman's gallows. You never quite know when the floor is going to give way and hand from the noose that are your words.
- Love and happiness do not go hand in hand. You can have one without the other, so don't get frustrated when you can't have both.
- Your happiness can be another's torment. Always be conscious of that fact and don't rub salt in their wounds.
- Life is full of ups and downs. Enjoy the highs when they come and muddle through the lows as best you can, that's all you really can do.
- People can be cruel. Basing you opinion of Person A on what Person B says is never wise, especially if Person B is bitter and filled with hatred. At least try to get both sides of the story before passing judgement.
- Drinking never solves anything, though it can make things interesting.
- When people ask for advice, do your best to give some to them.
- Don't place too much into hope, you'll inevitably get let down in the end. If you want something, work towards that goal. You're the only one that can accomplish what you want.
- Anger, fear and aggression lead to the dark side. But man, can the journey be fun.
- All things happen for a reason, just try to take everything in stride and not trip.
- Two dozen gamers in a small, enclosed room does not make for a fun time smell-wise. Hope that the air conditioning works. (Real life lesson there, and I still want to go to a convention.)
- It's okay to be sad at times. You can't be happy-go-lucky 24/7, it's just too tiresome.
- Same goes for being angry 24/7. That just wears you down.
- Be there for you friends no matter what. You never know when you might need them to do the same.
- There are a lot of different religious views and beliefs in the world. Don't mock them if you don't understand them, go out and do some research. Just because it's different from yours doesn't make it wrong. (This coming from a guy who worships the three norns and fate, I could be considered odd due to that alone.)
- Sometimes you just need a good cry once in a while.
- Tattoos are great and fun to get.
I'm sure that I'm forgetting a few here and there, but these are the ones that immediately come to mind.
So this year has been all over the place for me, but honestly, I wouldn't have it any other way.
So to everybody, have yourselves a Happy New Year and be safe this evening.