From my care event yesterday, I learned some lessons.
Common Characteristics of Adults that grew up in alcoholic or abusive homes. (Why are we talking about me?)
- We don’t know what normal is, so we guess.
- We have a difficult time having fun.
- We take ourselves very seriously.
- Difficulty with Intimate Relationships.
- Feel that they are different from other people.
- Extremely loyal, even in the face of evidence that loyalty in undeserved.
- Super responsible.
- Constantly seek approval and affirmation.
- Over-react to changes over which they have no control.
- Judge themselves without mercy.
- Guilt feelings.
- Fear of Abandonment
Change takes time
Change takes practice
Change cannot be rushed