I wanted to share some additional information, as I’ve gotten various feedback from people on OD and PB. Lets breakout some killer bullet points!…
- My future diary site EWSentinel’s Easy Diary will not compete with OpenDiary or Prosebox. OD and PB are both good sites for different reasons. My hope is that ED will be an even more different reason, and not a competitor. Even if I’m the only person who uses it, I’ll still be happy.
- "EWS, why are you doing this? Trying to split the community further is kind of a dick move." I’m doing this because I want my own site, my own baby, where I have complete control, where I can do the development and flex my creative muscle. I’ve been wanting to do this for many, many years, even since I first found OD in 1999. I’m now at a job that gives me a lot of flexibility, and I felt that this was a good time for me to do it. I’m sorry if it ends up fracturing the community. That’s not my wish.
- Easy Diary is in the beginning stages of development, so I ask for patience. I have a job and career, which in reference to ED, is a good thing and a less-than-good thing.
- The Good: I won’t be relying on ED for revenue. As long as it pays for the hosting fees, I’ll be happy. (click those ads lol)
- The Less-than-good: Because ED is not my primary job, it means that the initial development process will be a bit slower than other sites, whom development for them is their main means of revenue, and thus they have more time to devote.
- OD is not dying. The DM has been actively trying to resolve the slowness/timeout errors and is doing heavy testing. (the site seems to be ‘fairly well’ for me today, except for note history)
- I will continue to be here at OD. I love OD and won’t leave. I’ll continue to perform my OD admin role here for as long as the DM lets me.
- I’ll be making OD and ED tutorial videos, and post them on their respective sites (post development for ED) to help noobies and vetrans alike to be able to use the sites to their fullest. Be on the look out for those.
- I’ll post OD’s tutorial videos in my diary and on the online help page.
I hope that some of this was helpful. If you have any other questions or concerns feel free to leave me a note. 🙂