Bird day

I had a bird day today. You’ll understand the pun after reading this.

I woke up this morning feeling refreshed. I’ve been getting to bed earlier and feeling better for it. My plan was to catch the 12:20 ferry over to Seattle to have lunch and go thrift shopping with Ali ( one of my best friends who also happens to be my sister-in-law ).

It was a beautiful day and as I opened the blinds on the sliding glass doors to let some light into the living room. When I did I saw a small bird laying on its back on the balcony. The poor thing seemed to be having a seizure  and I assumed that maybe it hit the window. I rushed out immediately to check on it. “It’s okay” I said as I gently picked him up. He won’t stop shaking.

I didn’t know what to do and I was supposed to go to Seattle soon. I called my mom and dad because they’ve had a lot of experience with birds hitting their window before. My dad told me that I should leave him where I found him because he might come around later and fly away. He could just be in shock right now. So that’s what I did. I felt so bad leaving him and I hoped he would be gone by the time I got home.

My time with Ali was great. I hadn’t seen her in quite a while so it was good to spend some quality time together. I feel so relaxed around her like I can truly be myself. You know who your closest friends are when you don’t have to worry about how you act or what you say around them. You can just be completely relaxed. We had a really good lunch and then went to Goodwill to thrift shop. I found a very cute copper stove pot that actually wasn’t cheap, but not expensive either. Either way I picked it up and couldn’t put it down.

Ali dropped me back off at the ferry and I got home around 7pm. When I went to the back balcony to check, the bird was still there and still alive. Gosh dang it. My vet happens to live right next door so I texted her and asked her what I should do. She said the only thing to do was to put it somewhere quiet and secluded away from other animals. It was probably not going to make it and this was a part of nature. I told her thanks and prepared a box with some soft bedding.

I gently placed the small bird in the box and as I did he stretched his leg out and clutched to my finder with his foot, as if to say he didn’t want me to go. I stroked his head and said I was so sorry. Then took the box down to the backyard to place it under the giant trampoline. It would be sheltered there and away from the other birds.

As I turned away I noticed some movement nearby on the fence line to the cat yard. There was another bird and this one was sitting on the ground which I thought was strange. “Oh boy” I thought. I walked over to check it out and the bird did not move. When I got closer I realized it was still a baby and probably couldn’t fly. It must have fallen out of the nest. It then tried to hop away from me so I picked it up just to check that it wasn’t injured. Its wings and feet looked good, so I set it back down and went to fetch some water and food in case mom and dad weren’t nearby or aware it was missing.

I mean what the heck. Teo birds in two unfortunate situations today. I’ll make sure to check on them in the morning.


Log in to write a note