2008 Wrap Up
Ahhh the beloved 2008 Survey. I admit I’m happy to see 2008 on its way out. My family had some health issues and it scared the pants off me several times, not to mention my run-in with melanoma. Cheers to 2009! Health, wealth, and happiness!
1. What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before? I didn’t let my boss get the best of me when I decided to quit my sales job. She wanted 3 more weeks out of me. I calmly told her no. It’s hard for me to say no at memorable times. I got my alternative certification and became a teacher. I visited both my mom and dad in hospitals. I hated seeing them lying there, and I’m so thankful that they’re back to good health.
2. Did you keep your new years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year? According to my entry last year, here is what I wrote: "I will make a resolution for next year, and it is to continue to eat healthy and lose more weight. I also want to learn to relax more and not worry so much about what people think of me." Turns out that I did keep my resolutions– both parts of them. I’ve lost 7 pounds since last year,and I’ve not worried what people think about me. I’d like to think that I’ve outgrown that. As for a resolution for next year, it’s again going to be a healthy resolution, to stay on this path, and to give people the benefit of the doubt. I tend to make conclusions about people when I first meet them, and I want to learn to back off of that. Give them time.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth? My friend Becky gave birth to another little girl, Claire.
4. Did anyone close to you die? Yes, and it still gets me. My brother’s friend Troy passed away. I was so upset at that funeral.
5. What countries did you visit? Zero. But I did go to Naples in January, San Franciso in May, Austin a few times, as well as Dallas to visit Abby and Nick.
6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008? Matt and I on the same vacation schedule. Right now, he works for a software company that goes hand-in-hand with car dealerships. There have been some layoffs that he’s avoided, but we’re getting nervous that there’s more to come seeing that the state of the auto industry sucks ass. Since he’s in recruiting, we’d like to move him into HR in a school district. We knew a lot of people in the area and we’re hoping that this can be a good change for him. I’m working to get his resumes and stuff sent out while he’s at work.
7. What date from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? July 11th, the day that I told my boss I was quitting my sales job. August 25th, the day that I started my teaching job and realized that work didn’t have to be depressing or stressful or that sales targets would make or break me. Christmas! It was so relaxing to be with my family and just sit around and eat and drink and be merry 😉
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? Breaking away from old job, passing the art test to become a teacher, learning to cook and really enjoying it. Cooking to me is calming.
9. What was your biggest failure? ?? Seriously, I cannot think of anything that comes to mind.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury? I had a melanoma removed from my back. I’m left with a 7 inch scar and visit the dermatologist every 3 months. That’s nothing in comparison to what happend to my mom or dad.
11. What was the best thing you bought? Our flatscreen tv and our leather couch.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration? My mom’s for remaining calm during the health scares.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? My old boss always acted the fool. ha!
14. Where did most of your money go? Into our Nest Egg fund. We want a house but are holding out.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? For Matt to get his first job in July. To go to Indiana to visit Christine and see Radiohead play. When my parents were both out of the hospital. When we went to see Coldplay and Tom Petty play. To meet up with Woody and Nicola (English friends) in San Francisco.
16. What song(s) will always remind you of 2008? "A-Punk" by Vampire Weekend, "Paper Planes" by MIA, and that song that I at first hated, but then it grew on me, that Kid Rock, "All Summer Long "song.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. Happier or sadder? Happier! 🙂
ii. Thinner or fatter? Thinner!!! 🙂
iii. Richer or poorer? Richer! 🙂
18. What do you wish you’d done more of? Called friends more.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of? Being bo
red. I’m just lazy I suppose, and don’t enjoy cleaning or anything else like some people do. ha.
20. How will you be spending Christmas? In Houston with my family. We spent 2 days over at my parents house and played Tabu Christmas night. Hilarious.
21. What was the most embarrassing thing that happened to you in 2008? ??
22. Did you fall in love in 2008? I’m always falling in love again and again with my husband.
23. How many one-night stands? Zip.
24. What was your favorite TV program? Top Gear, Talk Soup, The Hills.
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year? ? No
26. What was the best book you read? Shadowfires by Dean Koontz. Great read!
27. What was your greatest musical discovery? Vampire Weekend
28. What did you want and get? A fab new job. Good people to work with.
29. What did you want and not get? I wanted a car but didn’t get one. Oh well.
30. What was your favorite film of this year? Forgetting Sarah Marshall, Horton Hears a Who (really good!), Baby Mama, Sex and the City.
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? 28! Damn near 30!! We went out for Cajun food, then celebrated again at my new sushi place. Wonderful day.
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? No health issues at ALL.
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008? Dresses, skirts, indie-chic? 🙂
34. What kept you sane? Matt, cooking, t.v.
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? I love Shia LeBouf
36. What political issue stirred you the most? The election- Go Obama!! (<— says a lone supporter from the South, which would be me). Really, kidding. I’m very happy to have him elected. I thought I was the only one that wanted him elected!
37. Who did you miss? ??
38. Who was the best new person you met? Probably the music teacher at my school. I love her. She’s the 50 year-old version of myself. That’s exciting!! 🙂
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008. Don’t put all your eggs in one basket. Be thrify, spend less. Eat at home more.
40. If you could sum up 2008 in three words, what would they be? Done with 2008! (all in good fun. Bring on 2009!!)
Tonight, we’re having people over for an Italian feast and drinks. I’m excited to bring out the nice dishes and cool wine glasses. I’m making this spicy enchilada dip (that’s the TexMex in me and has nothing to do with Italian food) and then I’m out to get the lasagna. I’m getting old. Happy New Years!!!!
This was great! happy new year to you darlin, Im sure ’09 will be a great year for you and the family!!
okay, you need to post the recipe for this dip! i’m hoping for the best for you in 09. it has to be better than 08, huh? i was just thinking about this–did matt’s family come for christmas LAST year? that seems like two seconds ago that you posted those pics! i don’t know what made me think of that.
ryn: sounds yummy. thanks!
Great survey…sounds like 2008 was great for you and 2009 will be even better! Hope the Italian food went well and Happy New Year!
nice survey! I’m going to do something like this.. if you don’t mind me asking, what happened to your parents? Scary business with melanoma too, glad that you are good now!
I hope you have a great 2009!
#33 Splashes of personality over chic designs – This is how I’ve always viewed your taste. #24 You realise that you score major brownie points with pretty much every guy on the planet because of this right? 🙂 #17 It’s so clear to see how much happier you are. And you’ve always looked thin so nothing for me to comment on here. Being richer’s always nice too. RYN: I found it hysterical that Matt asked the same! Oh yeah, so with Matt beginning to appreciate American Football, does this mean you’ve started to luv our game too? Remind me, who does Matt support again? Thanks for asking about my New Years and Christmas. They were both complete non-events which is sad but well what can I do? I don’t actually think I’ve celebrated Christmas now for 4+ years?